harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] Using latest linux snapshot[hdk]...
Date Thu, 12 Oct 2006 00:04:35 GMT
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 14:44 Ilya Okomin wrote:
> On 10/11/06, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > I have libstdc++.so.6 on my system.
> > > Nevertheless I have the same results as Dmitry described:
> > >
> > > bash-2.05b$ ./java -version
> > > Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache Software
> > > Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
> > > Failed to open JVM DLL:
> > > /work/Harmony/builds/harmony-jre-latest/bin/default/harmonyvm
> > > (/lib/ssa/libstdc++.so.6: version `GLIBCXX_3.4' not found (required by
> > > /work/Harmony/builds/harmony-jre-latest/bin/default/libharmonyvm.so))
> > >
> > > I used harmony-jre-r450941 snapshot.
> > > Should I do anything else to resolve this issue?
> >
> > It is probably because your custom libstdc++ is still compiled against an
> > older glibc version of your distribution. Geir uses more modern version.
> > Can
> > you run /lib/libc.so.6 and show the output?
>
> You've asked about libc.so.6 output, here it is:
> "
> GNU C Library stable release version 2.3.2, by Roland McGrath et al.
> This is free software; see the source for copying conditions.
> There is NO warranty; not even for MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A
> PARTICULAR PURPOSE.
> Compiled by GNU CC version 3.2.3 20030502 (Red Hat Linux 3.2.3-53).
> Compiled on a Linux 2.4.20 system on 2005-09-16.
> Available extensions:
>         GNU libio by Per Bothner
>         crypt add-on version 2.1 by Michael Glad and others
>         linuxthreads-0.10 by Xavier Leroy
>         The C stubs add-on version 2.1.2.
>         BIND-8.2.3-T5B
>         NIS(YP)/NIS+ NSS modules 0.19 by Thorsten Kukuk
>         Glibc-2.0 compatibility add-on by Cristian Gafton
>         libthread_db work sponsored by Alpha Processor Inc
> Thread-local storage support included.
> For bug reporting instructions, please see:
> <http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/bugs.html>.
> "
> I hope this information will clear some questions.

Well it shows that you have glibc 2.3.x and the more modern version is 2.4
which I use. If you ask me about why GLIBCXX_3.4 uses version 3, I really
don't know. But still I think the version numbers for binary builds which
Geir creates are referring to glibc and running these binaries on the more
recent Linux installations shouldn't be a problem.