harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [dlrvm] ClassCircularityError in recursive compilation (Was: Re: [drlvm] smoke test : gc PhantomReferenceQueueTest is really unstable)
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 23:15:59 GMT
On Wednesday 11 October 2006 18:18 Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> The test you described has a lot of hidden issues.
> For example: if Sun supports such situation only with interpreter (need to
> investigate), may be it's enough if we support it only with JET (in the
> default mode JET compiles all methods first)? In this case if we see
> ClassCircularityError in OPT we have a chance to return JIT_FAILURE to EM
> and ask EM to compile this method with JET?

The difference with JET and _our_ interpreter (I have no idea how interpreter
on sun works) is that _our_ interpreter performs resolution only at the time
it necessary, e.g. a reference to another class' method. JET would perform a
resolution at the moment of the method compilation which is the cause of the
whole discussion. Correct me if I am wrong.