harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] version of gcc and other tools
Date Wed, 11 Oct 2006 00:07:07 GMT
On Tuesday 10 October 2006 20:10 Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> 2) Linux x86 :
>      GCC : 3.4.6
>      g++ : 3.4.6
>      make : 3.81b4
>
> What are you using?  what other tools should we list?
>
> I recently setup a new machine (linux) and now have the complete list of
> stuff that has to be installed (starting from fresh ubuntu6) and will
> post that on the getting started document on teh website.

I think glibc (run /lib/libc.so.6 to determine C library version) version and
libstdc++ are important as well as another thread shows. It looks like gcc
3.3.x and before used libstdc++ 5 while more modern versions use libstdc++ 6.
Compiling newer version of libstdc++ locally doesn't always help.

As for gcc version, I am quite sure that the code which compiles on the latest
versions does compile on the older ones. I use gcc 4.1.1 and try to use the
most recent software. Binaries created on the most recent versions may not
work on the old installations.

Hmm... when we talk about it anything may be important. Glibc and kernel have
header files, they also change often. And while kernel header files are
normally used only for compiling kernel modules, changes in them sometimes
affect user applications which use something which they shouldn't use which
is kernel specific.