harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] define pre-commit testing configs to gain the stability
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 22:38:33 GMT
On Tuesday 10 October 2006 17:28 Mikhail Fursov wrote:
> Nope, just the fact that there always will configurations we do not
> support. And the best we can do is to sum all of those we do support.
> For example: Linux user may read the configuration we do support, install
> all of the needed environment and run the VM happily. It could  better
> solution (or alternative) for user then asking a forum and waiting a fix.

A better solution would be if he sends us a patch which fixes his problem. It
is open source, isn't it? If it doesn't work for you, fix it yourself. The
more people care about some platform or configuration, the better it works.

Being more serious, is gcc version so important? I mean gcc is slowly
hardening rules of C/C++ language interpretation. That is the reason why we
had problems moving from 3.3 to 3.4 and then to 4.x. Personally I use 4.1.1
which is the latest stable for Gentoo and it compiles harmony ok. The
warnings which were fixed for 4.x don't cause problems on older versions.

Should be also specify compilation flags? Like we
support -mprefetch-loop-arrays but don't support -funroll-all-loops? It looks
silly to me. All software has bugs and we may encounter bugs in gcc just like
everyone else. Those who have problems with some particular version can
investigate and possibly find a solution or workaround. Those who don't want
to deal with it can use a binary build.