harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache
Date Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:12:17 GMT
Geir, Tim, Noel, etc.,

I've had a reply from the CEO of Punch Telematix, concerning the . He asks if
he really has to fill in the bulk_contribution_checklist, given that he
personally has no knowledge of the process by which Wonka was developed. (In
fact no one who ever worked on Wonka at Acunia is now working for Punch
Telematix). He has no objection to making the donation however, and I do know
all about the development process at Acunia, having been in charge of the
project virtually the whole time (the missing months are covered by Gerrit,
who is now working for /k/).

I think there are two ways to proceed: either (i) Punch and /k/ answer the
questionnaire jointly, or (ii) /k/ makes the contribution and treats Punch as
an "other author". Let's see how that goes:

Part III :  Statement of Origination

a) Have you personally written all of the code or other material
   that you are intending to contribute to this project, and if so,
   are you an Authorized Contributor for all parts of the contribution?

  [ ] Yes
  [ ] No

  ==> No ==> continue with the rest of Part III

b) Have you verified the development history of the code to
   identify ALL of the authors?

   Please list the other authors:

==> Acunia is listed alongside the smaller contributors

c) Do you have a written agreement with all of the authors that
   either gives you ownership of the material or otherwise provides
   you sufficient rights to submit this material to the project
   on their behalf.

   Please provide the details of this agreement:

==> We get Punch Telematix to sign such an agreement, along with the others

d) Are all of the authors Authorized Contributors for the part of
   the contribution written/created by each author?

==> No ==> continue with the rest of part III

e) Was the code written prior to May 2005 (when the Harmony Project
   was initiated)?

  [ ] Yes
  [ ] No

Yes, except for the code developed by /k/ after that date

  (i)  If No, you must provide Authorized Contributor Questionnaires
       for the authors of the code created after May 2005 such that
       those authors  are classified as Authorized Contributors for
       the portions of the contribution  written by them
       after May 2005.

==> OK, /k/ needs to become an Authorized Contributor anyhow

f) Did any of the authors of the code have access to third
   party implementations of similar technology while developing the
   contribution?

==> In a sense everyone has access to Sun's JDK, but at Acunia the Wonka
developers were not allowed to look at those sources nor to have them on
their machine. We asked outside contributors to do likewise.

g) Was the code developed in accordance with a  development
   process which was designed to prevent unauthorized inclusion
   of third party  intellectual property rights into the code?
   (e.g., does the process require that developers not have
   concurrent access to third party implementations of similar
   technology during development?)

==> Yes

  If "yes", please provide short description of the process,
  focusing on protections related to third party intellectual
  property :

==> Blah blah

So what's the best way forward?

Thanks for your time,