harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Gregory Shimansky <gshiman...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][build]Stale object files are linked to DRLVM
Date Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:31:10 GMT
On Friday 06 October 2006 18:24 Salikh Zakirov wrote:
> > I'm actually not.  Were there an additional 24 hours in a day....  There
> > is a whole list of reasons why I'm not a fan of the current system,
> > including maintainability as well as performance.  (Building classlib
> > takes far less time that DRLVM on windows, for reasons I find utterly
> > perplexing...)
>
> Well, performance-wise, using 'make' will not make DRLVM build any faster,
> mainly because it is hard (if at all possible) to take advantage of
> compile-many-cpp-files-by-single-compiler-command mode available
> in MSVC and Intel compilers.

It has its own disadvantages like all object files are put in the same place,
so no name duplication can happen. It also doesn't allow fixing compilation
problems in some particular subdirectory because ant requires running only
from the top level for all file tree.

The only valid reason for ant build system I think is that make requires
cygwin, mingw or some emulation of bash/make/sed environment of fileutils and
binutils on windows.

> I completely agree on the maintainability side.

+1

> >> I can easily propose a couple of ways to use make
> >> for building DRLVM (i.e. running C++ compiler and linker). The last
> >> thing I played
> >> with was using shell-script for generating Makefiles using the source
> >> file list.
> >
> > Well, cool :)  We have the ability to learn from and improve upon
> > classlib how we want to  try and handle platforms correctly...
>
> Actually, I do not think I would want to take classlib's make system
> as the base, because it does not satisfy two requirements I personally
> consider important:
>
> * concentrate the build configuration in one place

If we come to a configure script, it will do this automatically. Still it
doesn't work for windows.

> * automatically deduce object files lists by finding .cpp files
>
> And, I would rather add GNU Make (Cygwin or Mingw) to the required build
> tools, than maintain two copies of make files.

+1