harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Chris Gray <chris.g...@kiffer.be>
Subject Re: Wonka, Mika, and Apache
Date Fri, 06 Oct 2006 07:28:57 GMT
On Thursday 05 October 2006 19:06, Tim Ellison wrote:
> Apologies for drifting off-topic...

> Is there a spec for the shape and behavior of headless SE and embeddable
> SE etc.?  I have only seen passing references to what they are and how
> they act like SE.

SFAIK a "headless" SE is simply one for which java.awt.headless has been set
true; that tells the JRE to implement image operations in software instead of
using the graphical capabilities of the underlying platform.

"Embedded SE" seems to refer to a build for PowerPC that Sun demoed at ESC. If
it's distributed on the same licence terms as normal JavaSE then it won't be
legal to distribute "stripped" versions which only contain the packages
needed by the application. (Presumably the same restriction will apply to
certified versions of Harmony once these exist).

> > [geir]
> > I fully expect that over time, this project will have multiple virtual
> > machines, as well as multiple builds for classlib to support various
> > deployment platforms.
>
> and potentially configurations, though to tackle ME would require the
> ability to subset the behavior of the existing types as well.

For CLDC, yes. For CDC it should be possible to just subset the classlib.