harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Artem Aliev" <artem.al...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][threading] Is it safe to use hythread_suspend_all and hythread_resume_all?
Date Thu, 19 Oct 2006 11:05:17 GMT
Weldon,

> If the "current scheme" is the same that we had 1 or 2 years ago, the answer
> is no

This is just the same scheme!

> I am really hoping that all of this is simply an implementation
> bug.

There are no open issues  on this scheme, there is no examples that
fail right now because of the suspend_all.

>  The bottom line is that to make the system easy to reason about, a
> thread should always be in suspend_enable mode before it does anything that
> might block.

We already talk about that in the top of the thread. I agree with
that, and will add some debug capacity to the TM.

Eugeny,

Actually, the code is not ideal, and there is a lot of things to do on it.
You could contribute you ideas into the code, and test them.

The suspend_all code contains a number of compromises that was
produced by different workloads and stress tests failures.

I attach patch that implement one of you ideas: to hold global thread
lock between
suspend_all / resume_all.
As I remember it could cause deadlock in JVMTI. Probably, something
change in mean time.

Thanks
Artem