harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Artem Aliev" <artem.al...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm][classlib] thread library - let there be one!
Date Mon, 16 Oct 2006 14:21:20 GMT
Tim,

Reading through discussion, I find two option for the second step.
Let's discuss them.

1.
> -  split hythread, refine the bottom layer (thrdsup.h and mutex.h) and
> upper layer (hythead_xxx)
> -  migrate classlib code to the bottom layer (1) of hythread
Then move the rest of hythread to VM.

In this case we will move all VM releated functionality out of a classlib.
The classlib will use tls, mutex and thread_create from *.h files.
VM will be free to implement threading in any way.

2. Move hythread out from the drlvm to a portlib.
In this case  classlib will contains a lot of only VM releated code.
So we will meet the same problems with an new VM.  But we will have
common place for all synchronization primitives and could control
them.

Thanks
Artem

> Tim Ellison wrote:
> > First step (moving out of luni) looks good to me.
> >
> > I'd like some more discussion around the second step (picking up drlvm
> > version) before you do a wholesale replacement.
>
> Yes please.  Lets do small, reversible steps.
>
> geir
>

> > Regards,
> > Tim
> >
> > Weldon Washburn wrote:

> [...]
> [...]