harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Ivan Volosyuk" <ivan.volos...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] The first GC helper with fast-path implemented in Java: gc_alloc
Date Fri, 13 Oct 2006 06:25:21 GMT

> As Xiao Feng mentions, memset() is filled with a bunch of complications.  We
> do not want to dive into writing yet another highly optimized memset()
> library.  There are plenty of them on the shelf.  I would like to set
> memset() aside and stay focused on showing perfomance data on inlined
> alloc() at this time.

AFAIU, Mikhail also works on something like fast-JNI - a way to call
native function from managed code. To do this, we need some kind of
representation of native function in java, a mapping of native call
into java bytecode. It looks the class
org.apache.harmony.vmhelper.native.Utils was created for this purpose.
The memset is just a function we can start with if we really want the
ability to call native functions from java.

I would like to have this functionality, but if the implementation
needs some resources it can be postponed until after the basic helper
inlining functionality is ready.
--
Ivan