On 9/4/06, Paulex Yang wrote:
Stepan Mishura wrote:
> On 9/1/06, Paulex Yang wrote:
>>
>> Stepan Mishura wrote:
>> > Hi Andrew,
>> >
>> > I've just looked into static initialization block and then to the
>> > spec. for
>> > LogManager class.
>> > My impression is that Harmony implementation doesn't follow the spec.
>> >
>> > The spec. says: "At startup the LogManager class is located using
>> the '
>> > java.util.logging.manager' system property.By default, the LogManager
>> > reads
>> > its initial configuration from a properties file
>> > "lib/logging.properties" in
>> > the JRE directory...."
>> Stepan,
>>
>> I think the meaning of "By default" is debatable. Actually the spec
>> looks like this:
>>
>> "At startup the LogManager class is located using the
>> java.util.logging.manager system property.
>>
>> By default, the LogManager reads its initial configuration from a
>> properties file "lib/logging.properties" in the JRE directory. If you
>> edit that property file you can change the default logging configuration
>> for all uses of that JRE.
>>
>> In addition, the LogManager uses two optional system properties that
>> allow more control over reading the initial configuration:
>>
>>    * "java.util.logging.config.class"
>>    * "java.util.logging.config.file"...
>>
>> "
>>
>> So I consider the "By default" doesn't necessarily means default case
>> without " java.util.logging.manager" property, but means the default case
>> without "java.util.logging.config.class/file" properties.
>>
>> A simple test on RI of specifying a customized MockLogManager by
>> "j.u.l.manager" property shows the default "lib/logging.properties" does
>> affect the behavior of the customized LogManager, say the root logger's
>> level, etc.
>

> Do you mean that RI resets the root logger's level of customized
> LogManager
> to default value from "lib/logging.properties"?
Yes, so I think customized LogManager also needs to initialize itself in
same procedure as j.u.l.LogManager.

Hi Paulex,

I've implemented custom LogManager (see attachment): it sets value for root logger's level different from default value(INFO). According to my test (see attachment) RI doesn't change level of root logger.

The test prints the following:
$java -classpath . MyTest
INFO
$java -classpath . -Djava.util.logging.manager=CustomLogManager MyTest
SEVERE

Did I missed something?

Thanks,
Stepan.