harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Egor Pasko <egor.pa...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] HARMONY-1363 - DRLVM fixes and additions
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 05:10:19 GMT
On the 0x1E4 day of Apache Harmony Weldon Washburn wrote:
> Where do I find regression tests for the recent drlvm patches?  Right now,
> I am trying to drill down on Harmony-1417.  I look in drlvm/trunk/vm/tests
> but don't see regression tests that look like they verify that lazy
> exception optimization works correctly.  Maybe I overlooked something?

Weldon, I am afraid, this is a performance issue and the test would
show nothing more than a serious performance boost after the fix. I'll
find someone with a test like this :) and ask to attach it to JIRA.
But .. do we need performance tests in the regression suite?

Apart of this issue I see that JIT infrastructure is not so
test-oriented as one would expect. JIT tests should sometimes be more
sophisticated than those in vm/tests and, I guess, we need a separate
place for them in the JIT tree.

Many JIT tests are sensitive to various JIT options and cannot be
reproduced in default mode. For example, to catch a bug in OPT with a
small test you will have to provide "-Xem opt" options. Thus, in a
regression test we will need:
(a) extra options to VM,
(b) sources (often in jasmin or C++ (for hand-crafted IRs))
(c) and even *.emconfig files to set custom sequences of optimizations

(anything else?)
I am afraid, we will have to hack a lot above JUnit to get all these.

Let's decide whether we need a framework like this at the time. We can
make a first version quite quickly and improve it further on as-needed
basis. Design is not quite clear now, though it is expected to be a
fast-converging discussion.