harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][logging] In applying the LogManager patch...
Date Mon, 25 Sep 2006 03:42:17 GMT
2006/9/25, Paulex Yang <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> > ... as suggested by Nikolay, I did run the tests
> >
> >   $ cd modules/logging
> >   $ ant test
> >
> > and it was endless stacktraces, both before and after I made the
> > modification.
> >
> > How do I know if I broke anything?  I'm going to go forward with the
> > patch as I don't see any harm, since Logger.global is supposed to be
> > set via getLogger("global") anyway, so subsequent settings shouldn't
> > harm.
> "ant test" in specific module directory returns "build successfully"
> even there is some tests fail, so I prefer to "ant
> -Dbuild.module=logging test" in classlib/trunk directory, which will
> check the test result and generate test report in html format.
>
> About the logging tests, probably because of the default
> java.util.logging.ErrorManager, wihch is used to handle the exception of
> associated handlers, and its default behavior is to print the error
> message to System.err, the solution I can imagine includes: redefine the
> System.err to sth. like /dev/null, or specify a customized ErrorManager.

The first one isn't an option actually - it is just another etreme
opposite to jamming console with stacktraces, and both would lead to
disregard of possible problems. I know there is "build successfull"
summary, but can imagine sutiation when some test crashed but total
result is positive.

So yes, IMHO we need to solve this with custom setup. Especially if
those tests assert error handling inside logging machinery.