harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 10:24:56 GMT
2006/9/11, Paulex Yang <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
> Alexey Varlamov wrote:

> >> LD_LIBRARY_PATH or

> >> I was thinking about this for packaging - that way you can have :
> >>
> >>   jre/
> >>      bin/
> >>         j9/
> >>         drlvm/
> >>
> >> and setup a symlink if you wish.
> >>
> >> if we have kernel.jar in jre/lib/boot as we do now, it's must less
> >> convenient and probably error prone to switch back and forth.
> >>
> >>  > If yes then we can take vmcore.dll base path as a
> >>
> >> Sure - where will you get that?  and what do you w/ .so's in unix?  I've
> >> come to the conclusion that the only way will be to manually run the
> >> PATH (win) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux)
> >
> > IIUC, j9 does this in astonishingly simple way - it just specifies
> > "-Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/default/luni-kernel.jar" in the
> > "<vmdir>/harmonyvm.properties" file, and the launcher does the rest.
> > Namely, it automatically reads that file, replaces %LAUNCHER_HOME%
> > with actual location and feeds extra arguments to VM among user's
> > ones.
> > This solution looks sufficient for now, but it seems to be only
> > partial: it does not work for pure Invocation API
> > usecase.Besides,those hardcoded arguments to VM appear confusing in
> > some cases - e.g.
> > it is impossible to override kernel.jar via command-line.
> Is it necessary to override the kernel.jar via command-line? The kernel
> class is provided by VM, so it is natural to locate it by VM specific
> property file.

The first example which came to mind, how could you instrument the
kernel classes, say for coverage analysis by emma or custom profiling?
I'm sure there are more usecases, but anyway this is generally adopted
behaviour and not following it may be far more disappointing than
exception message incompatibility which we care so much ;)

> > Also note hardcoded "default" vmdir.
> Agree, "default" should be replaced by some variables(%vmdir% or so), so
> it is easier to move VME to another directory.
OK, I will file a JIRA for this.

--
Regards,
Alexey