harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Alexey Varlamov" <alexey.v.varla...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 05:33:57 GMT

> Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> >> There seems to be no easy solution, other than parse LD_LIBRARY_PATH or
> >> PATH...
> >
> > Is vmcore.dll (now harmonyvm.dll) and kernel.jar should always reside
> > in one directory?
>
> I was thinking about this for packaging - that way you can have :
>
>   jre/
>      bin/
>         j9/
>         drlvm/
>
> and setup a symlink if you wish.
>
> if we have kernel.jar in jre/lib/boot as we do now, it's must less
> convenient and probably error prone to switch back and forth.
>
>  > If yes then we can take vmcore.dll base path as a
> > location of kerenel.jar.
>
> Sure - where will you get that?  and what do you w/ .so's in unix?  I've
> come to the conclusion that the only way will be to manually run the
> PATH (win) and LD_LIBRARY_PATH (linux)

IIUC, j9 does this in astonishingly simple way - it just specifies
"-Xbootclasspath/p:%LAUNCHER_HOME%/default/luni-kernel.jar" in the
"<vmdir>/harmonyvm.properties" file, and the launcher does the rest.
Namely, it automatically reads that file, replaces %LAUNCHER_HOME%
with actual location and feeds extra arguments to VM among user's
ones.
This solution looks sufficient for now, but it seems to be only
partial: it does not work for pure Invocation API usecase. Besides,
those hardcoded arguments to VM appear confusing in some cases - e.g.
it is impossible to override kernel.jar via command-line. Also note
hardcoded "default" vmdir.

As for the .so locations, I'm not sure if there is portable solution
(parsing LD_LIBRARY_PATH looks error-prone). Maybe better solution
would be leave this to user - for setting JAVA_HOME or such...

--
Alexey