harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Salikh Zakirov <Salikh.Zaki...@Intel.com>
Subject Re: [doc] new "Getting Started" guides
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 07:47:58 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr wrote in the http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html:
>>> As of now, you cannot build from a Cygwin or other alternative shell.

Salikh replied:
>> This is not exactly the case.
>> - DRLVM has provisions in 'build.bat'
>> to set up environment using Visual Studio environment file 'vsvars32.bat' (and friends).
>>
>> - if Visual Studio configured system environment during installation, then both DRLVM
and Classlib
>> can be built from any place.

Geir interjected:
> Have you built classlib successfully with cygwin?

Yes. I use Cygwin all the time, and always build classlib from cygwin shell.
However, it required a couple of things to configure:
1) during Visual Studio installation, tick "configure system environment" checkbox (or something
similar)
2) rm /bin/link -- to make sure the 'link' command unambiguously resolves to Microsoft linker
(Cygwin's /bin/link is useless program, similar to /bin/ln)

I have also heard from some colleagues, that they were able to configure Cygwin to pick up
visual studio environment from vsvars32.bat during bash startup, but do not know the exact
details.

The only way to configure Visual Studio environment at runtime I know is captured in DRLVM's
build.bat.