harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Richard Liang" <richard.lian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Re: Re: [classlib][TestNG] groups of Harmony test
Date Mon, 11 Sep 2006 13:49:36 GMT
On 9/11/06, Alexei Zakharov <alexei.zakharov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> > One more note (seems it already was said sorry if I repeat): the test
> > without any marks should be run in all configurations (i.e. we have
> > 'default' group but declaration of this group may be missed).
>
> I'd like to point your attention on the previous discussion about
> "default groups" :
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-harmony-dev/200607.mbox/%3c44C7457B.7080107@googlemail.com%3e
>
> I am still for using "os.any" since it is more self-descriptive and
> the build script will be simpler with "os.any". It will be nice to
> hear more arguments for using defaults because it seems the arguments
> that were gathered in that old thread hasn't been taken into account
> by participants of this thread.

I have not any strong objection about "os.any". And actually I had
ever proposed to define the "default" group because we could not
include tests with annotation @Test which belong to no groups. Now it
isn't a problem as we already have a solution for them. To facilitate
writing test cases, we annotate the unit tests which are designed to
pass on all platforms (os + arch) with @Test.

If we use "os.any" and "arch.any", then the default annotation would
be @Test(groups={"os.any", "arch.any"})

Could any other give more comments? Thanks a lot.

Best regards,
Richard

> Thanks,
>
> 2006/9/5, Vladimir Ivanov <ivavladimir@gmail.com>:
> > One more note (seems it already was said sorry if I repeat): the test
> > without any marks should be run in all configurations (i.e. we have
> > 'default' group but declaration of this group may be missed).
> >
> >  thanks, Vladimir
> >

> > On 9/5/06, Vladimir Ivanov <ivavladimir@gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > >  OK, let's return back to the usage model.
> > > If I understood it correctly, before the commit of any changes each
> > > developer run *all* tests (at least all which we have now) on all available
> > > to him platforms. In this context seems we don't need in any 'level' group
> > > (while 'stress' tests require reasonable time to pass).
> > > Seems, that "platform" group also can be deleted (at present time we have
> > > <10 platform-dependent tests and this amount should not increase
> > > dramatically so the platform-detection can be included to the each such
> > > test).
> > > Also "cpu" groups can be deleted (while we have not cpu-dependent test).
> > > At the end we need only "state" groups to support test exclusion on the
> > > 'one-element' level (while we have unresolved entries in the current exclude
> > > list).
> > >
> > > So, after small update of unit (aka integration, aka regression etc) tests
> > > and resolution of all entries in the exclude list we don't need any groups
> > > and pure JUnit covers all our needs :)
> > >
> > > On the other side, if we define some groups it will nice to define *all*
> > > reasonable groups at the begin of the process.
> > >
> > >  thanks, Vladimir
> > >
> > > By the way, our regression tests are 'classic' regression tests that
> > > demonstrate some issues which were not resolved by initial code. But it
> > > provides less coverage than 'regression tests' + unit tests, of cause.

> --
> Alexei Zakharov,
> Intel Middleware Product Division

Richard Liang