harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][launcher] I am looking at the interaction between {classlib, launcher, drlvm} and {hysock, hysig, hythread}
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:34:49 GMT
Hi, Weldon:
     The usage of the argument of portLibrary is for the function to call
other functions of the port library if needed. The argument is just a
virtual function table, as you said, can be any implemenatation of the
HyPortLibrary struct, not only the HyPortLibrary struct the function belongs
to. Of course, different HyPortLibrary might lead to different behavior of
the function if the HyPortLibrary is used by it.
     I think the main purpose of the design is to alter some function of a
specified HyPortLibrary struct flexibly, especially at runtime: What is
necessary to do is just to change an entry in HyPortLibrary while the
altered function can make use of other functions as well as other functions
can use it.
    Am I all right?:)

> It looks like hysignal.c is using the right monitor enter/exit().  That
> is,
> the one
> from  drlvm/trunk/build/win_ia32_msvc_debug/deploy/jre/bin/hythr.dll
>
> However, a bunch of functions in classlib's hysignal.c have an incoming
> argument of "HyPortLibrary *portlib".  The portlib variable can either
> point
> to the original classlib portlib C struct.  Or it can point to PORTLIB
> which
> is a C struct with all the entries nulled out (more on this later.)
>
> I think the next question to ask is what hysignal.c does with
> the "HyPortLibrary *portlib" argument.  If anyone knows, please tell us.
> Otherwise I will keep digging.
>
> From stepping through DRLVM bootup, it looks like classlib's portlib is
> _dropped_  in signalProtectMain().  Then launcher gpProtectedMain calls
> invocation(PORTLIB,...) where PORTLIB is a nulled out HyPortLibrary C
> struct.  We need to put comments in the code describing the switch from
> classlib's portlib to drlvm's nulled out version.

> > All,
> > Its not clear at this moment what threading implementation is being
> > executed when hysignal.c calls hythread_monitor_enter().  If someone
> > already knows, please tell us.  Otherwise,  I will step through it with
> the
> > debugger to find out what is going on.
> >   - Weldon
> >
> > --