harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 09:31:58 GMT
Dear Xiao-Feng:
     Thank you for your advice.
     I would like generational GC, but what I worry about whether it is
preferrable to let GC start even if there is free memory existing.  Although
the initiative gc fits in my case, I do not know the side-effect of frequent
gc, for example, to pick out gc-able objects, to merge memory and to reset
pointers to moved objects, especially on other cases. In my opinion, the
strategy of current passive gc still has its market. Is it possible to let
it configurable for application developers to choose the gc strategy?
    Smatter compiler to allocate object on stack is really a good way since
many a time an object is used as a local varaible. I think it is not so
difficult for compiler to pick out local variables and what we need is just
to let VM to allow space allocated on stack.:)
    I am not quite familiar with JIT, but it will become a powerful
supplement for static analysis.

Good luck!