harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Leo Li" <liyilei1...@gmail.com>
Subject [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 03:08:29 GMT
Hi,all:
    As we all know, java objects are allocated on heap instead of stack,
thus there is a problem about how to garbage collect short-lived objects
quickly.
    In a recent real project I involved, a server built on java tries to
send thousands of messages to client per second. A lot of short-lived
messages is created as objects and discarded. (Although I can recycle these
memory, there is still a byte array created during per call of nio read and
write.) Since current GC strategy adopted by current RI starts to work only
when the memory allocated approaching the limit of java heap, the work of GC
is huge and will raise a wave on the server performance. Furthermore, after
a long run, although I know GC will merge memory, the operating system
reports there is memory fragment and in the worst case the OS will even
report real memory is exhausted.
    Of course it is possible to limit the java heap so as to force gc
frequently as a workround, is it preferrable to collect short-lived objects
quickly such as adopt aged-related object queues as one of the gc strategy?
   What about the VMs here, drlvm or J9?

Leo Li
China Software Development Lab, IBM