harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Evgueni Brevnov" <evgueni.brev...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1582 - invocation API for DRLVM
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 04:42:36 GMT
On 9/26/06, Artem Aliev <artem.aliev@gmail.com> wrote:
> Gier, Eugeny
>
> > reformat it on the fly.... Sorry, I don't know how to switch my patch
> > to the original formatting.
>
> I've reformatted the patch using following command. See attachment.
> svn diff --diff-cmd /usr/bin/diff --extensions -Npuw > patch.diff
>
> > I think a lot of people are interested in answer to this question. Do
> > you? Let me get a break and I will come up with details....
>
> Yes, for example me.
> Please give me some time to dig into the new code.
>
> For now I see at least one architectural problem.
> The vm/thread. Was design in layered manner.
> You've been doing invocation API that should affect the java layer.
> The hythread layer is supposed to know nothing about java. All java
> related code should be placed into jthread lib. Why did you change
> somthing in hythread?
Yes I did change hythread layer but I didn't break original layered
design (I believe I didn't). Why I changed hythread? There were
problems with hythread_attach & hythread_detach implementation. Almost
all changes in hythread comes from that fact. I will provide more
details a little bit latter (today of cause).

> The second question is about java.lang.VMStart class.
> This class create initial thread group structure, and start helper
> threads. Where did you move the code?

There is a special constructor in java.lang.Thread which creates that
structure. Actually it was already there I just modified it. This
constructor is used to create java.lang.Thread instances for thread
attaching from JNI. Regarding helper threads....this code is still
there....you probably missed it at first sight.

Thanks
Evgueni