harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] optimization regressions (was: Re: [result] Re: [vote] HARMONY-1363 - DRLVM fixes and additions)
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:41:43 GMT
This would be the best solution to test if an optimization works as
expected.
We can create the following framework inside Jitrino compiler to test
individual optimizations and optimizations inter-dependencies:

Create a special optimization ("test") that that works only for "special"
Java method (jitrino.TestCase.testJitrino) during the compilation.
It works in the following way:
1) Cleans current IR
2) Set up some kind of template IR: e.g. IR with 1 loop and a const inside
the loop
3) Runs a test that uses internal Jitrino API and checks the results: e.g.
runs some loop optimizations and checks that constant is moved out from the
loop.
4) Restores initial IR of the method.

Such tests could be run from junit with a special adapter as usual Java
tests.

Does it makes sense?
Any other ideas or experience how to test compiler optimizations
predictably?

--
Mikhail Fursov