harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][JIT] can Jitrino.JET call MMTk alloc() instead of C helper?
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 14:30:25 GMT
Weldon,
I added 'alloc' support to JIRA 816 (magic2.zip file)
Now it supports objects allocation only, not arrays. MMTk allocation works
only for class named 'test'  and methods with prefix  'testAlloc'. To turn
it on use "-Xjit jet::alloc4j" option.

I had a problem with implementation: usual 'new' vm helper does vtable field
initialization in allocated object space by itself. Your alloc() method
doesn't.
In the patch in JIRA I added vtable initialization code right after the
alloc() call to JIT, that is actually bad design decision (IMO).

Can we replace the 'alloc()' call with another Java method  that uses
unboxed API and behaves exactly like 'new' helper?

+The test in the patch throws NullPointerException because no memory is
allocated in alloc() now and JET tries to write vtable data by NULL address.

> At some point soon we need to go multithread.  When can you fix the
> vmmagic
> atomic operations?

I need one more day to estimate the complexity of this move.

--
Mikhail Fursov