harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Fursov" <mike.fur...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm]A subject to profiling instrumenting
Date Fri, 01 Sep 2006 13:10:21 GMT
Hi Zou,
At last I read the papers you sent and I hope now I can answer to your
questions more precisely.
I think it's a good idea to start with JET just to test the base algorithms
implementation: SEQUITIR, GC support and so on.
Once we have framework working we can easily port everything to OPT and
measure the performance gain.
IMO what you need in JET is primitive and not optimized a read-barrier
implementation: track all accesses to
1) static variables (getstatic opcode)
2) object fields (getfield)
3) array elements (aaload)

Once you are able to dump memory accesses of these opcodes you can build
SEQUITIR gramma and detect hot traces.
To trace this operations you can write a simple intrinsic function to
Jitrino sources and call it from JET with 'gen_call_novm' method.
I can help you to implement these barriers if you need.

BTW, I do not sure if SEQUITIR performance is enough to be used in runtime.
Have you already done any estimation what does it cost? I.e. how many
instruction must me executed during a tracing to add new symbol (or address)
to SEQUITIR gramma?