harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rui Hu" <roberthu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: HARMONY-1407: Contribution of Java code for package java.lang.management
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 06:43:20 GMT
On 9/20/06, Andrey Yakushev <andrey.yakushev@gmail.com> wrote:

> Do I understand correctly, that j.l.management support could be
> implemented for DRLVM as follows:
>
> 1. Integrate HARMONY-1407 into classlib and obtain
> UnsatisfiedLinkError on DRLVM.
> 2. Implement native methods in kernel classes as stubs returning some
> realistic values. It could allow test and jconsole running.
> 3. Replace these stabs one by one with possible adding of the
> interface functions in DRLVM modules like GC and TM.

Great. It's a good plan.

Really I have tried to go through this plan "ahead of time" :)
> Currently I wrote native methods stubs and made run for the tests from
> HARMONY-1407. The result is:
>    Tests run: 90,  Failures: 15,  Errors: 9
>    13 failures is StackTraceElement similar as Rui mentioned.

It's easy to fix.

   8 errors due to not implemented method
>        at java.util.logging.LogManager.getLoggingMXBean(LogManager.java
> :154)

It's easy to fix too. Just add one simple method to LogManager.

Other 3 problems needs additional investigation

Can you list out them?
I found that most native methods of this component are related with VM
platform, and some Java methods are called by native code(e.g. [1]) . Maybe
some of them are hard to replaced by simple stubs.

Is my activity helpful?

Ya, so helpful, I have more faith on this contribution now.

[1] MemoryMXBeanImpl.createMemoryManagerHelper(String name, int internalID,
boolean isGC)

Nathan, do you have similar or different plan for HARMONY-1407 integration?