harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [testing] HARMONY-995: adding new target to builds for automatic testing
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:40:18 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

> But you can send just one email with a summary of everything that
>> happened during that run.
>>
>> The fact that the system did :
>>
>>    call fetch-depends
>>    call build clean
>>    call build
>>    call test
>>
>> should have no bearing on how many emails it sends.
>

> Agree. But instead of one line of code in the build we have 20+ in
> the tool
> (and 3 in my bat-file to do full testing cycle for classlib). Of
> cause, tool
> can do it (and do now) but we can do some things more easy.

Can I ask what you are trying to do?  The build-test thingy wont' get
simpler because of this patch, because we want the build-test tool to
record it's actions in fine detail, and the only way to do that is to
do the actions individually.  Therefore, calling some do-everything
target is a non-starter as lots of important information will be
lost, with the only gain I can see is saving 19 lines of code that
we'd write once and everyone would use.

it just hides information for no gain.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your motivation?

Having that target in classlib is fine.  But I can't see why we'd
ever want to use it in the context that we are discussing it....

geir