harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [vmi] showing help text (was: Re: [drlvm] Trouble Building DRLVM)
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:41:41 GMT

On Sep 19, 2006, at 11:02 AM, Tim Ellison wrote:

> Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
>> On Sep 19, 2006, at 8:37 AM, Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
>>
>> [SNIP]
>>
>>>  ./java
>>>
>>> Harmony Java launcher
>>> Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache
>>> Software
>>> Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
>>> java [-vm:vmdll -vmdir:dir -D... [-X...]] [args]
>>> ./java: relocation error:
>>> /home/ivan/svn/drlvm/trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jre/
>>> bin/libhyprt.so:
>>>
>>> symbol hythrea
>>> d_exit, version HYTHR_0.1 not defined in file libhythr.so with link
>>> time reference
>>>
>>> After I have commented out:
>>>   assert(saved_recursion<1);
>>
>> Ok - this is semi-known behavior - the launcher now doesn't do
>> anything,
>> um, intelligent if it is invoked w/o an arguments, and clearly
>> there's
>> something unpleasant going on when it's just the launcher running,
>> probably with our version of the thread library.
>>
>> I'm going to modify the launcher to pass "-help" into the VM when
>> it's
>> been named "java*" so that it behaves like the tools that come
>> with the
>> Sun's, BEA's and IBM's impelmentation.
>
> As I mentioned before, you if you pass "-help" or "-showversion" in
> the
> creation of the IBM or Sun VM you will get an error, e.g.:
>
>   C:\temp\sample>test
>   JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: -help
>   Failed to create VM with rc=-6.
>
> These command-line flags are handled by the launcher (not the VM).

I need to test that for Sun via a launcher, as just doing "java -
help" w/ the sun JRE works as expected - it prints help.

> Since in Harmony there is not a 1:1 correlation of launcher to VM
> implementation you will have to either print out generic help in the
> launcher (bad) or go for an extension to the VM interface to get/print
> help text.

How about passing -help to the VM?  I don't grok the downside to
this.  DRLVM works this way now.   that way any localization issues
are up to the VM provider.

Having the launcher print out help based on the executable name would
be bad - it has to be some thing else.

> I believe that you could write a useful generic implementation of
> version info since VMs put that into system properties.

True - we could solve the version problem that way...

geir