harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 02:26:52 GMT

> Xiao-Feng Li wrote:
> > GCv5 is a proposed next GC version for Harmony VM. It's just starting.
> > Any people who are interested are welcome to comment the design or
> > participate the development. Please notice messages with [DRLVM][GC]
> > in subject. I will submit a very preliminary mark-compaction GC
> > skeleton as the mature space collector soon.
>
> When this happens, lets ensure that we can compile both v4.1 and v5 at
> the same time, and choose them via a cmd-line switch...

Yes, it is always desirable to keep the existing version runnable.

Since I will submit code as JIRA issue or update from time to time as
the development proceeds, the initial submissions are only for
developers, will not be ready to run as GCv5, (e.g., it may have
seperate standalone nursery collector and mature collector). When GCv5
is developed reasonably complete in functionality, we will make it a
command line option. Or do you suggest to do it immediately?

Thanks,
xiaofeng