harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Xiao-Feng Li" <xiaofeng...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 10:47:25 GMT
On 9/14/06, Jimmy, Jing Lv <firepure@gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting topic, I'm still dreaming of "free()" in Java (This dream
> begins at the very beginning when I see Java, as C/C++ is my first
> program language )However, it seems RI will never give us "free()". :)
>
> Only a thought, Java may offer a key word "temp", indicating that this
> variety can be freed at once.

Well, it is not so easy to support "free()" in JVM as it looks like,
and may not really bring benefit. Even worse, it may introduce unsafe
code, which was one of the major design goals of Java/JVM. That said,
I agree that some hints by programmer to assist GC might be an
interesting topic.

Thanks,
xiaofeng