harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Mikhail Loenko" <mloe...@gmail.com>
Subject [testing] optimization regressions (was: Re: [result] Re: [vote] HARMONY-1363 - DRLVM fixes and additions)
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 08:05:39 GMT
Hi Rana

2006/9/14, Rana Dasgupta <rdasgupt@gmail.com>:
<SNIP>
>  One way to write the test would be to loop N times on a scenario that
> kicks in the optimization say, array bounds check elimination and then loop
> N times a very similar scenario but such that the bounds check does not get
> eliminated. Then the test should pass only if the difference in timing is at
> least X on any platform.

I tried to create a similar test when was testing that resolved IP
addresses are
cached. Finally I've figured out that this test is not the best
pre-commit test as it
may accidentally fail if I run other apps on the same machine where I
run the tests.

And as you know unstable failure is not the most pleasant thing to deal with :)

Thanks,
Mikhail