harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:07:09 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 7:58 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

>> On Sep 27, 2006, at 3:10 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:
>>
>> > Some times ago we discussed (and agreed?) that the HDK should
>> > include tests
>> > (also as support.jar which already included) and issue 984 was
>> > filed to
>> > build test.jar.
>> >
>> > It will nice if test.jar will be added to the new version of HDK :)
>>
>> I think it's good to have the tests there too.  However, is there any
>> downside to this?  might we cause trouble for people using the HDK
>> for development (rather than the build test infra?)
>

> If some doubts exist we can vote about it.

LOL.  No reason to vote - it's a technical issue with a single
true'false answer - would having a single jar of tests screw up a
developer using the HDK as originally intended, namely as a means to
allow them to just checking one classlib module, and use HDK to
supply the rest of the required headers, libraries and classes needed
for building and testing.

if the answer is "yes", then we need to figure out how to deal with
it.  If "no", then there's no problem and we go forward.

The question here isn't "do we want the test.jar" - because I think
we all do.  The question is "how do we do this conveniently and safely?"

> I can not see any downside to have one more jar in the HDK.

The problem could arise if that test.jar was used before the classes
in the checked-out module, masking any changes or such that the
developer was making.