harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [doc] new "Getting Started" guides
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 04:43:51 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 10:53 PM, Stepan Mishura wrote:

> t is great that you've created guides and put references to them at
> top. So
> now it is clear for newcomer what the next step is. And I'd like to
> suggest
> the following improvement for contributors guide: the page contains
> only few
> words about projects parts and it may create impression that
> Harmony is a
> one big/complex piece of software that has a lot of dependencies to
> download. I think that it is important to say clearly in the
> beginning of
> the page that the project consists of many quite independent parts.
> And the
> newcomer has a choice to work with whole code base (a.k.a.
> federated build)
> or with a part of the project. So the top of the page should
> contain two
> references to federated build and to a description of the project's
> components.

I understand.  Remember, this is targetted for newbies - people who
don't know anything yet, and what it tries to do is find the fastest
path to getting working code from a single checkout.

> We have instructions for federated build. It looks OK for me. And the
> description of components should give detailed picture of all
> components not
> just mention VM and Classlib. And the components' description
> should points
> to components' homepages.

Good point.  But what other components right now would you point to?

> BTW, just random idea. I'd let each module to live by its own life
> by having
> its own homepage, releases, mailing list and JIRA component, like
> we have
> for ORB module (Apache Yoko project). Does this make sense?

No.  There no sense in releasing just a classlibrary or a virtual
machine.  Or a toolset.  You need the whole pile.

I think we need to continue to focus on our primary goal, java SE.
I've also been concerned about having "subprojects" that are too
independent, creating sub-communities.  I think that should be
avoided at all cost.  Sure, we each have our focus and
specialization, but we're one project, one community.

We have categories for JIRA - doesn't that work?  Mail list is busy,
but right now we seem to be doing ok in terms of segmenting by
subject line, and quite frankly, I still think that the benefits of
intermixing currently outweigh the costs.  yes, we need a user list
soon, and someday we'll split VM from classlib, but right now,
there's such good collaboration...

As for homepages, we already have that - basic pages for each major
component.

geir