harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [general] jre and hdk snapshots posted to general snapshot site
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:33:37 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:21 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

>> > If some doubts exist we can vote about it.
>>
>> LOL.  No reason to vote - it's a technical issue with a single
>> true'false answer - would having a single jar of tests screw up a
>> developer using the HDK as originally intended, namely as a means to
>> allow them to just checking one classlib module, and use HDK to
>> supply the rest of the required headers, libraries and classes needed
>> for building and testing.
>>
>> if the answer is "yes", then we need to figure out how to deal with
>> it.  If "no", then there's no problem and we go forward.
>>
>> The question here isn't "do we want the test.jar" - because I think
>> we all do.  The question is "how do we do this conveniently and
>> safely?"
>>

>> > I can not see any downside to have one more jar in the HDK.
>>
>> The problem could arise if that test.jar was used before the classes
>> in the checked-out module, masking any changes or such that the
>> developer was making.
>

> So, conclusion is:
>
> - while we does not provide scripts to run tests from this test.jar
> we have
> no problems here;\
>
> - when we will prepare scripts we should add tests from modules
> before this
> test.jar (or prepare 2 separated scripts).
>
> Do I miss something?

One of us is.

If I recall, the point of the test.jar was to have a pre-built jar of
tests in the HDK so that someone could setup the build-test infra
using the HDK so they could run tests on their platform w/o having to
build everything.  Good idea.   If that's so, then something would
have to be configured to have the classlib "test" target use that
jar.  All I'm saying is that how we do this is important, as we don't
want to cause pain for classlib developers who use the HDK for
development support.

geir