harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Vladimir Ivanov" <ivavladi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [testing] HARMONY-995: adding new target to builds for automatic testing
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:11:32 GMT

> On Sep 27, 2006, at 8:14 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

> > But you can send just one email with a summary of everything that
> >> happened during that run.
> >>
> >> The fact that the system did :
> >>
> >>    call fetch-depends
> >>    call build clean
> >>    call build
> >>    call test
> >>
> >> should have no bearing on how many emails it sends.
> >

> > Agree. But instead of one line of code in the build we have 20+ in
> > the tool
> > (and 3 in my bat-file to do full testing cycle for classlib). Of
> > cause, tool
> > can do it (and do now) but we can do some things more easy.
>

> Can I ask what you are trying to do?  The build-test thingy wont' get
> simpler because of this patch, because we want the build-test tool to
> record it's actions in fine detail, and the only way to do that is to
> do the actions individually.  Therefore, calling some do-everything
> target is a non-starter as lots of important information will be
> lost, with the only gain I can see is saving 19 lines of code that
> we'd write once and everyone would use.
>
> it just hides information for no gain.

Sorry, I can not see any place where we hide information. Build logs will be
available with the same details. Strictly speaking, nothing will change
(except script simplification) - just some legal build sequence will be
moved from external tool to the build system.

 thanks, Vladimir

Maybe I'm misunderstanding your motivation?