harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [doc] new "Getting Started" guides
Date Thu, 28 Sep 2006 02:53:45 GMT
On 9/22/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:

> As discussed earlier today, there are now two new "Getting Started"
> guides on the website, accessible from the homepage.
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_users.html
>
>   http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/quickhelp_contributors.html
>
> There is still more work to do - for example, we need to fill in the
> lists of tools needed and dependencies.  (I'll add a fresh Ubuntu VM
> in Parallels tomorrow and work though all the deps that need to be
> added....)
>
> Give a read, test it out, and comment...

Hi Geir,

It is great that you've created guides and put references to them at top. So
now it is clear for newcomer what the next step is. And I'd like to suggest
the following improvement for contributors guide: the page contains only few
words about projects parts and it may create impression that Harmony is a
one big/complex piece of software that has a lot of dependencies to
download. I think that it is important to say clearly in the beginning of
the page that the project consists of many quite independent parts. And the
newcomer has a choice to work with whole code base (a.k.a. federated build)
or with a part of the project. So the top of the page should contain two
references to federated build and to a description of the project's
components.

We have instructions for federated build. It looks OK for me. And the
description of components should give detailed picture of all components not
just mention VM and Classlib. And the components' description should points
to components' homepages.

BTW, just random idea. I'd let each module to live by its own life by having
its own homepage, releases, mailing list and JIRA component, like we have
for ORB module (Apache Yoko project). Does this make sense?

Thanks,
Stepan Mishura
Intel Middleware Products Division