harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Stepan Mishura" <stepan.mish...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][logging] a test suite shouldn't touch any of JRE config files!!!
Date Tue, 05 Sep 2006 05:55:28 GMT
On 9/4/06, Paulex Yang wrote:

> Stepan Mishura wrote:

> >> the '
> >> Stepan,
> >>
> >> I think the meaning of "By default" is debatable. Actually the spec
> >> looks like this:
> >>
> >> "At startup the LogManager class is located using the
> >> java.util.logging.manager system property.
> >>
> >> By default, the LogManager reads its initial configuration from a
> >> properties file "lib/logging.properties" in the JRE directory. If you
> >> edit that property file you can change the default logging
> configuration
> >> for all uses of that JRE.
> >>
> >> In addition, the LogManager uses two optional system properties that
> >> allow more control over reading the initial configuration:
> >>
> >>    * "java.util.logging.config.class"
> >>    * "java.util.logging.config.file"...
> >>
> >> "
> >>
> >> So I consider the "By default" doesn't necessarily means default case
> >> without "java.util.logging.manager" property, but means the default
> case
> >> without "java.util.logging.config.class/file" properties.
> >>
> >> A simple test on RI of specifying a customized MockLogManager by
> >> "j.u.l.manager" property shows the default "lib/logging.properties"
> does
> >> affect the behavior of the customized LogManager, say the root logger's
> >> level, etc.
> >

> > Do you mean that RI resets the root logger's level of customized
> > LogManager
> > to default value from "lib/logging.properties"?
> Yes, so I think customized LogManager also needs to initialize itself in
> same procedure as j.u.l.LogManager.

Hi Paulex,

I've implemented custom LogManager (see attachment): it sets value for root
logger's level different from default value(INFO). According to my test (see
attachment) RI doesn't change level of root logger.

The test prints the following:
$java -classpath . MyTest
INFO
$java -classpath . -Djava.util.logging.manager=CustomLogManager MyTest
SEVERE

Did I missed something?

Thanks,
Stepan.