harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1582 - invocation API for DRLVM
Date Tue, 26 Sep 2006 17:24:13 GMT
On 9/26/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
> >Alexey Varlamov [26/Sep/06 05:11 AM]
> >Evgueni, thank you, quite impressive work!
> >Unfortunately patch is so huge it is hard to understand at once.
>
> I understand your concern (about reformatting)... I feel very-very
> uncomfortable when I study purely formatted code. It always hard to
> understand some one's code especially if it is hard to read. That was
> not my intention to fix indenting I just can't study such code and
> reformat it on the fly.... Sorry, I don't know how to switch my patch
> to the original formatting.
>
> >And what really bothers, is that about half of it is just reformatting :(
> >Can't we really go without white space changes and renaming of
> >parameters\local vars???
> Its definitely much less than the half of the patch.
>

> >Kind request: could you please describe shortly what is done in TM -
> which >essential changes & enhancements?
>
> I think a lot of people are interested in answer to this question. Do
> you? Let me get a break and I will come up with details....

Right, it seems like invocation API patch does extensive changes to
the TM design and interfaces. Hopefully you can provide us with a
summary why it was done
so. In the meantime, there are a few things I'd like to understand
first (I didn't
look through the whole patch yet though):

(1)
Why did you have to add JavaVM to jthread_create and jthread_attach
functions? I couldn't see the use for JavaVM in the TM code, except putting it
into TLS which can always be done outside of TM if one wishes to do so.
Ideally, we would have TM to know as much less about the rest of VM as possible.

(2)
What is the purpose of adding hythread_lib_create and
hythread_lib_destroy functions? I guess we already have
hythread_init/hythread_shutdown for the similar purpose...

(3)
One more lock is added - hythread_lib_lock. How is that differ from
the hythread_global_lock that we already have? Each extra lock to the
system may add more possibilities for deadlocks, as well as can
negatively impact the scalability (unless some of the existing locks
are split).

(4)
Instead of adding "daemon" attribute to hythread_create, I think the
better approach would be to move the daemon threads count logic out of
the hythread level - this level is assumed to know nothing about
daemon threads in Java, the better place to handle that would be
jthread level (or even better - Java code).
Did you need this change to implement the invocation API impl, or, it
was just a side improvement?

Thanks,
Andrey.

> > > Who can we badger into fixing this?

> > > Lets see if we can shame them into fixing it... :)
> > >
> > > Shame c-unit test authors!  Shame c-unit test authors!
> >
> > Ok, I'm expecting a lot of anger on me form c-unit test authors ...
> > :-) Sorry, guys...
> >

> > > (goes off to look for patch...)
> > >
> > > geir

Andrey Chernyshev