harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrey Chernyshev" <a.y.chernys...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] DRLVM, jre/bin/default and launcher
Date Mon, 04 Sep 2006 14:03:49 GMT
On 9/1/06, Evgueni Brevnov <evgueni.brevnov@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Geir,
>
> I'm very enthusiastic about making DRLVM to work with the launcher. It
> requires implementation of the Invocation API to a certain extent. For
> example it's enougth to have only partial support for

To some extent, some of those invocation API you mentioned have been
already implemented. I believe DRLVM can already be started with the
launcher if type a command:

java -vm:vmcore  -vmdir:.

If we want to complete the transition to the classlib's launcher, then
I guess we need to do the following:

1.  Fix the DRLVM layout - rename vmcore to "harmonyvm" and move
.dll/.so into the "default" subdirectory such that one doesn't have to
type -vm and -vmdir options;

2. Exclude building of the "original" launcher from the DRLVM build -
it currently conflicts with the classlib launcher (both are called
"java").

3. Aside from the hythread, it may also have a sense to make the
classlib and DRLVM using the same zlib dll/so (preferably the system
one).

Thanks,
Andrey.

> DestroyJavaVM(JavaVM * vm). Some changes to j.l.Thread class is
> necessary as well. So if there is no objections I can start working on
> it right now.
>
> Thanks
> Evgueni.

> > We need to make DRLVM work with the launcher in the same way that J9
> > works with the launcher.  It's a royal PITA to do an ant-clean and have
> > DRLVM wiped out of the deploy/jdk/jre directory in classlib-land.
> >
> > My goal here is two fold -
> >
> > a) make it easy for people to have both DRLVM and j9 around for A/B testing
> >
> > b) make DRLVM the default VM we use for everything
> >
> > I know that we still have the epic argument around hythread to resolve,
> > but we can do this task first.
> >
> > Does anyone want to volunteer to take this on?  If not, I'll do it, but
> > I know that there are people out there that know DRLVM far better than I
> > do...
> >
> > geir

Andrey Chernyshev
Intel Middleware Products Division