harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [testing] HARMONY-995: adding new target to builds for automatic testing
Date Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:45:45 GMT

On Sep 27, 2006, at 9:11 AM, Vladimir Ivanov wrote:

>> Can I ask what you are trying to do?  The build-test thingy wont' get
>> simpler because of this patch, because we want the build-test tool to
>> record it's actions in fine detail, and the only way to do that is to
>> do the actions individually.  Therefore, calling some do-everything
>> target is a non-starter as lots of important information will be
>> lost, with the only gain I can see is saving 19 lines of code that
>> we'd write once and everyone would use.
>>
>> it just hides information for no gain.
>

> Sorry, I can not see any place where we hide information. Build
> logs will be
> available with the same details. Strictly speaking, nothing will
> change
> (except script simplification) - just some legal build sequence
> will be
> moved from external tool to the build system.

How will you be able to grab that information from the logs, so I can
see histories and such?  I'm not going to go manually scanning logs.
I want a web page that shows me the history.  This is what the CI
system does right now.  Why would we want to reverse that?  I want to
be able to graph the times to look for aberrations....

I guess you can write log-scanning code, but that seems to be longer
than the 19 extra lines that would be in the script for cruise
control...

geir