harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DRLVM][GC] ( Updated:HARMONY-1428) a submission of a mark-compaction GC
Date Wed, 20 Sep 2006 23:44:24 GMT

> > Hi, a new attachment is submitted to GCv5 as an update to JIRA 1428.
> > (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HARMONY-1428), which is a
> > mark-compaction GC. This GC is going to be connected with last
> > submission (the trace-forwarding GC) into a generational GC.
> >
> > The code is in my opinion very easy to understand, so it's encouraged
> > for everybody who is interested in GC development to download and have
> > a play. Comments are welcome!
> >
> > Thanks,
> > xiaofeng

Very nice and fast Xiao Feng :-) I read through your first submission and
had a couple of thoughts on how this could progress. Is it that to hook up
the two seperately managed spaces, some of the policies ( eg., promote
everything and have an upper limit on pause time  ) need become implicit?
Or can we build in some structures for policy support later, eg., if we want
to set aside a seperate creation space, and provide some concept of age
...maybe confine the copying implementation to a smaller aging space....

I know that we made some assumptions upfront but I am not sure how well two
generations will work for the real apps( not Spec ) eg., where pause is
critical. We may want to keep policies orthogonal to this so that we are
flexible.

Thanks,
Rana