harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [result] Re: [vote] HARMONY-1363 - DRLVM fixes and additions
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 06:36:01 GMT
Hi Egor,
   An optimization is a functionality that can regress like anything else.
The functionality is the perf gain, which is the point of the optimization.
How  would any committer confirm that the submitted code does perform the
optimization  ...other than the developer's word that it is happening, but
is hard to check? Also, if tomorrow I add some code that undoes your
optimization, or just breaks your code, how could we detect this? I think
that we need an associated regression test (at least for significant
optimizations), that show some guaranteed/minimal perf gain .
  One way to write the test would be to loop N times on a scenario that
kicks in the optimization say, array bounds check elimination and then loop
N times a very similar scenario but such that the bounds check does not get
eliminated. Then the test should pass only if the difference in timing is at
least X on any platform.
  I have been forced to do this several times :-) So I couldn't resist
spreading the pain.

Thanks,
Rana