harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Rana Dasgupta" <rdasg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1364 - question about init_stack_info()
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 22:54:42 GMT
Geir,
  Good question. The init_stack_info() is really a misnomer. It is an
initialization needed for the overflow exception handling machinery only.
That does not mean that it could not be initialized in a single location
eg., when the vm thread is attached, but it is a somewhat more local
initialization. In fact, it was being being initialized somewhere here
before, but I think that it got overwritten in a recent commit.
  I think that this change is better seen a temporary fix in the SOE
machinery, which needs a lot more changes. For example, to prevent failures
in creation of the exception object during suspend_disable(), we will likely
pre-create the exception object at init. If so, this type of initialization
would probably move there. But we haven't yet agreed on some of this
pre-creation at initialization etc. stuff (on a different thread ), whether
we want to handle lazily, etc. So, this is sort of an interim fix to stop
the asserts until we agree on some broader aspects of overflow exception
handling.

Thanks,
Rana