harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Weldon Washburn" <weldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [General VM] GC strategy:how to garbage collect short-lived objects quickly.
Date Sat, 16 Sep 2006 12:20:56 GMT

> starting.
> >>
> >> When this happens, lets ensure that we can compile both v4.1 and v5 at
> >> the same time, and choose them via a cmd-line switch...
> >>

> > Yes, it is always desirable to keep the existing version runnable.
> >
> > Since I will submit code as JIRA issue or update from time to time as
> > the development proceeds, the initial submissions are only for
> > developers, will not be ready to run as GCv5, (e.g., it may have
> > seperate standalone nursery collector and mature collector). When GCv5
> > is developed reasonably complete in functionality, we will make it a
> > command line option. Or do you suggest to do it immediately?
>
> It wouldn't be a bad thing to at least try to start integrating as soon
> as possible, as it might affect the structure of what you are building...

Integrating as soon as possible is probably already going on.  The DRLVM
VM/GC interface has been basically stable for quite some time.  If Xiao Feng
finds a problem with VM/GC interface, we need to know about it immediately.
Until then, GCV5 probably has little impact on the non-GC part of the VM.
In other words, GCV5 already connects to DRLVM in much the same fashion as
GCV4.x and MMTk.

I think the question to ask Xiao Feng is when he thinks it makes sense for
others to play with DRLVM/GCV5.  It should be sooner rather than later.
>From the above it looks like once the mature space collector is finished, we
can call for a vote to commit GCV5 to the repository.  Once this happens, a
standard build will produce GCV4, GCV4.1 and GCV5 DLLs.  A command line
switch will select between them.  A command line switch for MMTk also needs
to be added.  Hopefully this will happen in the next month or so.

geir