harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew Zhang" <zhanghuang...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [classlib][luni]upgrade java.lang.Character to 5.0
Date Fri, 08 Sep 2006 05:08:21 GMT
On 9/8/06, Tony Wu <wuyuehao@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
> I have looked through the java.lang.Character and found there were several
> methods missing in Harmony. I'll try to implement these methods if no one
> objects :)

Great! Go ahead!

All of these methods are coming with Supplementary Character Support of
> Tiger. That is, we should handle the character whose code point is after
> U+FFFF in our code.
> After doing some research, I found there're two ways to achieve:
> 1.Maintain a HashMap contains the information of supplementary character
> and
> retrieve from it when these methods were invoked.

Where does the data come from?

2.Delegate these methods to ICU4J, which provides extensions to the
> java.lang.Character class.

I prefer this option, although ICU doesn't reponse very quickly. If icu4j
works well, I think there's no reason for Harmony to reinvent the wheel.

If there are some series bugs in ICU4J which may affect our goal, it's
another story.

For now, I strongly recommened you to study icu4j and take a try!  Good
luck. :-)

What's your opinion? Any suggestion are welcome :)

--
Andrew Zhang
China Software Development Lab, IBM