harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Oliver Deakin <oliver.dea...@googlemail.com>
Subject [classlib][build] Improvements to build system
Date Fri, 29 Sep 2006 12:14:13 GMT
Hi all - Ive been away from the list this week, so sorry if Ive missed a
few
mails. Ill try and get back to them as soon as possible.

In the meantime Ive been thinking about the classlib build system,
and spotted a couple of things that Id like to fix/cleanup:

1) Although we can build a specific module with -Dbuild.module, currently
we cannot just clean or rebuild a single module. I'd like to be able to
run "ant -Dbuild.module=luni rebuild" and have it clean only the luni
java and native binaries and rebuild them. Currently this call results in
a total clean of all modules, and then all the native code being rebuilt,
but only the java code for luni (so you end up with only luni.jar in
lib/boot)! It would also be nice to be able to use the new rebuild-java
and rebuild-native targets on a per module basis.

2) In the top level build script we have a number of "public" and
"private" targets (the "private" ones are prefixed by a hyphen so
that they cannot be run from the command line). However at the
modular level the build scripts do not have this separation of
external and internal targets, even though it is expected that developers
may run these scripts directly. I would like to setup these scripts in the
same way as the top level build.xml- with build, build-java, build-native
etc. external targets and all others as internal and prefixed with
a hyphen.

I notice that Mark has done some cleanup of the build scripts under
make recently, but I think the modular scripts still require tidying up.
Does anyone have any objections to these? Any ideas of other
relevant activities I can carry out while Im in there?

Regards,
Oliver

--
Oliver Deakin