harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject [vmi] showing help text (was: Re: [drlvm] Trouble Building DRLVM)
Date Tue, 19 Sep 2006 15:02:03 GMT
Geir Magnusson Jr. wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2006, at 8:37 AM, Ivan Volosyuk wrote:
>
> [SNIP]
>
>>  ./java
>>
>> Harmony Java launcher
>> Apache Harmony Launcher : (c) Copyright 1991, 2006 The Apache Software
>> Foundation or its licensors, as applicable.
>> java [-vm:vmdll -vmdir:dir -D... [-X...]] [args]
>> ./java: relocation error:
>> /home/ivan/svn/drlvm/trunk/build/lnx_ia32_gcc_debug/deploy/jre/bin/libhyprt.so:
>>
>> symbol hythrea
>> d_exit, version HYTHR_0.1 not defined in file libhythr.so with link
>> time reference
>>
>> After I have commented out:
>>   assert(saved_recursion<1);
>
> Ok - this is semi-known behavior - the launcher now doesn't do anything,
> um, intelligent if it is invoked w/o an arguments, and clearly there's
> something unpleasant going on when it's just the launcher running,
> probably with our version of the thread library.
>
> I'm going to modify the launcher to pass "-help" into the VM when it's
> been named "java*" so that it behaves like the tools that come with the
> Sun's, BEA's and IBM's impelmentation.

As I mentioned before, you if you pass "-help" or "-showversion" in the
creation of the IBM or Sun VM you will get an error, e.g.:

  C:\temp\sample>test
  JVMJ9VM007E Command-line option unrecognised: -help
  Failed to create VM with rc=-6.

These command-line flags are handled by the launcher (not the VM).

Since in Harmony there is not a 1:1 correlation of launcher to VM
implementation you will have to either print out generic help in the
launcher (bad) or go for an extension to the VM interface to get/print
help text.

I believe that you could write a useful generic implementation of
version info since VMs put that into system properties.

Regards,
Tim

> IOW, I think that users expect :
>
> ./java
>
> ..... print help here....
>

> But we do need to hunt down why it exits so ungracefully - this is a
> good test case showing problems since it's so simple.
>
> geir

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.