harmony-dev mailing list archives

From "Geir Magnusson Jr." <g...@pobox.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] HARMONY-1363 - status update
Date Fri, 15 Sep 2006 12:41:38 GMT

Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 2006/9/15, Gregory Shimansky <gshimansky@gmail.com>:

>> > assert(is_name_lowercase(library_name))  in
>> >
>> > Yes, I was staring that that last night, trying to figure out why
>> > lowercase stuff is so important.
>> >
>> > Any clue?
>> >

>> I am not sure why this assertion fails, but I think I know why it is
>> important. On windows file paths may be different as strings but point to
>> the same file. To detect duplications among native modules it is
>> necessary
>> to have unified form to compare names as strings. So it seems like all
>> library names should be lowercase. I dunno why one of them doesn't
>> satisfy
>> this requirement.
> I recall there is port_filepath_canonical() method specifically to
> solve this, and at least classpath items were canonicalized during VM
> startup. Maybe this step is just missing for libraries... But why it
> started to fail only now?

Because that was utterly insane to assume that all resources were in the
same directory as the running executable, so I took that out at least
for one thing and I'm going back now to solve.

And I thought that method name was misleading, because it didn't return
a canonical path for something, it returned the concatenation of the
running executable's full path and whatever it was passed.  Like the
name of my cat.

Which brings me to a good question I'll ask in a separate thread re APR
string pools.

geir