harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Tim Ellison <t.p.elli...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [drlvm] putting kernel.jar in jre/bin/default
Date Thu, 14 Sep 2006 11:57:30 GMT
Alexey Varlamov wrote:
> 2006/9/13, Alexey Varlamov <alexey.v.varlamov@gmail.com>:
<snip>
>> Hmm, I'm not sure I understand how the Harmony launcher could be
>> helpful to an adaptive VM, until the VM can detect by which launcher
>> it is invoked and adapt accordingly. But the latter is evidently
>> unnecessary complication...
>> The launcher imposes certain requirements to VM:
>> - to handle "luni" part of bootclasspath on it's own;
>> - to recognize Harmony-specifc arguments, as
>> "_org.apache.harmony.vmi.portlib";
>> And there are other implications of Harmony classlib, like explicit
>> harmony layer anyway...
>
> And again, an Invocation-capable VM is supposed to work with arbitrary
> launcher, therefore the Harmony launcher should be minimized.

We should fix the launcher requirements you mention.  In particular, we
should allow, but not require, the absence of the portlib argument.
Where it is not provided the classlib code should provide a default
instance.

I'll call this out in a mail new thread since it will need an extension
to the VMI functions.

Regards,
Tim

--