harmony-dev mailing list archives

From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] Marking JIRA issues before creation of patches.
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 08:10:11 GMT
Denis Kishenko wrote:
> If I am going to work with whole module then "Harmony class library
> development status"[1] page is useful but if I want to work with
> several classes, for example fix some JAPI issues or make serious
> changes, then existing wiki page can't be used.
Anyone can create detail page for some component, there already has been
some, for example, luni page[2].

> I agree with creating JIRA issue and sending notification to dev-list,
> but I think more detailed status list is necessary, not only modules
> but packages and classes too.
Discussion on dev-list is generally first choice, I totally agree with
that. Wiki is just supplement to record somewhat significant work needs
longer time or relative big effort, for example, the luni page[2], as
well as others, has shown to be very useful when several volunteers from
different party worked together to bring the original luni contribution
up to 5.0 compatible, especially when someone has interested in some
component, the relevant page can be subscribed so that he/she can get
update notification. Wiki is useful also because of mailing list's
traffic, it's hard for new comer (and often for regular Harmony watcher)
to see what's going on, what is most expected to contribute, etc, only
in mailing list. Further, I guess many potential user may not visit
dev-list at all...

However, as others said for several times, it is not necessary to record
everything on Wiki(even in list), and it is still good suggestion to
discuss at the mailing list before/when trying to update Wiki.

[2] http://wiki.apache.org/harmony/LUNI