harmony-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Paulex Yang <paulex.y...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [build] anybody seeing MathTest failure?
Date Wed, 13 Sep 2006 04:44:21 GMT
Nathan Beyer wrote:
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: Paulex Yang [mailto:paulex.yang@gmail.com]
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 10:11 PM
>> To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
>> Subject: Re: [build] anybody seeing MathTest failure?
>>
>> Nathan Beyer wrote:
>>     
>>> For asserting NaN we should do something like this:
>>>
>>> assertTrue(Double.isNaN((code to return NaN));
>>>
>>>       
>> I agree, it's much clear and concise. But I think the assertEquals()
>> should  be more defensive, for example, we may need to write test like
>> this:
>>
>> assertEquals(some code may return NaN, some_other_code may return NaN,
>> delta);
>>     
>
> I'm not sure that I would agree with that; NaN is a special value that's
> defined by its inequality with itself (d != d).
> In any case, the JUnit methods have worked like this for years, so their
> behavior couldn't change now.
>   
Of course not:).
>   
>>> -Nathan
>>>
>>>
>>>       
>>>> -----Original Message-----
>>>> From: Paulex Yang [mailto:paulex.yang@gmail.com]
>>>> Sent: Tuesday, September 12, 2006 4:50 AM
>>>> To: harmony-dev@incubator.apache.org
>>>> Subject: Re: [build] anybody seeing MathTest failure?
>>>>
>>>> Mikhail Loenko wrote:
>>>>
>>>>         
>>>>> it works! thanks, Paulex
>>>>>
>>>>>           
>>>> Welcome, thanks a lot for Spark's tips:).
>>>>
>>>> However, I consider it as a JUnit's bug, because it's
>>>> assertEquals(String, double, double, double) method has special
>>>>         
>> handling
>>     
>>>> code for INFINITE but not for NaN[1], but seems it is intended behavior
>>>> as the comment shows, hmm...
>>>>
>>>> [1] snippet from junit.framework.Assert
>>>>     static public void assertEquals(String message, double expected,
>>>> double actual, double delta) {
>>>>         // handle infinity specially since subtracting to infinite
>>>> values gives NaN and the
>>>>         // the following test fails
>>>>         if (Double.isInfinite(expected)) {
>>>>             if (!(expected == actual))
>>>>                 failNotEquals(message, new Double(expected), new
>>>> Double(actual));
>>>>         } else if (!(Math.abs(expected-actual) <= delta)) // Because
>>>> comparison with NaN always returns false    (<== Paulex: before this
>>>> line, seems should check the NaN at first)
>>>>             failNotEquals(message, new Double(expected), new
>>>> Double(actual));
>>>>     }
>>>>
>>>>         
>>>>> 2006/9/12, Paulex Yang <paulex.yang@gmail.com>:
>>>>>
>>>>>           
>>>>>> Seems caused by r442438, I have recovered part of the update to make
>>>>>>
>>>>>>             
>>>> the
>>>>
>>>>         
>>>>>> test pass at revision r442527, please verify.
>>>>>>
>>>>>>
>>>>>>             
>>>> --
>>>> Paulex Yang
>>>> China Software Development Lab
>>>> IBM
>>>>
>>>>
>>>>
>>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>> Terms of use : http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html
>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: harmony-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>>> For additional commands, e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org
>>>>
>>>>         
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> Terms of use : http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: harmony-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>       
>> --
>> Paulex Yang
>> China Software Development Lab
>> IBM
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> Terms of use : http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: harmony-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
>> For additional commands, e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org
>>     
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Terms of use : http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: harmony-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
> For additional commands, e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org
>
>
>   


-- 
Paulex Yang
China Software Development Lab
IBM



---------------------------------------------------------------------
Terms of use : http://incubator.apache.org/harmony/mailing.html
To unsubscribe, e-mail: harmony-dev-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: harmony-dev-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message